Skip to main content
- Rx Files. Pain Management and Opioids Newsletter. Fall 2017. https://www.rxfiles.ca/rxfiles/uploads/documents/Opioids-Pain-2017-Newsletter.pdf
- University of Waterloo. Assessing Opioid Prescriptions. Pharmacy 5in5. https://pharmacy5in5.ca/app/#/landing/log_in
- Institute for Safe Medication Practices, Navigating Opioids for Chronic Pain https://www.ismp-canada.org/download/OpioidStewardship/navigating-opioids-11x17-canada.pdf
- Get on the road to recovery. Patients infographic: https://canvas.instructure.com/courses/1155681/files/51714947/download?wrap=1
- Opioid Manager. Developed by the Centre for Effective Practice. November 2017. Document can be found here: https://cep.health/clinical-products/opioid-manager
- Choosing Wisely Canada. Opioids –when you need them and when you don’t https://choosingwiselycanada.org/patient-pamphlet-opioids/
- Choosing Wisely Canada. Opioid Wisely. https://choosingwiselycanada.org/campaign/opioid-wisely/
- Oregon Pain Guidance; 2016 Compassion-based patient conversations
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Module 3: Communicating with Patients. Opioid Overdose. 2017.
- Invite Listen Summarize Tool 3 in Connect and Care. Model and Tools https://www.pharmacists.ca/cpha-ca/assets/File/pharmacy-in-canada/blueprint/Connect%20and%20CARE%20Interactive%20Toolkit%20-%20FINAL.pdf
- Dansie EJ, Turk DC. Assessment of patients with chronic pain. British Journal of Anaesthesia. 2013 Jul 1;111(1):19-25.
- Government of Canada. Stigma. https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/substance-use/problematic-prescription-drug-use/opioids/stigma.html
- CAMH Stigma: Understanding the impact of prejudice and discrimination. https://www.camh.ca/en/health-info/guides-and-publications/stigma
- Government of Canada. Get the facts on the opioid crisis in Canada. Together we can stop stigma. https://www.canada.ca/en/services/health/campaigns/drug-prevention.html?utm_campaign=opioids&utm_medium=vurl&utm_source=canada-ca-opioids
- Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction. Stigma. https://www.ccsa.ca/changing-language-addiction-fact-sheet
- Government of Canada. Changing how we talk about substance use. https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/substance-use/problematic-prescription-drug-use/opioids/stigma/stigmatips-talk-substance-use.html
- CAMH Mental Illness and Addiction: Facts and Statistics. https://www.camh.ca/en/driving-change/the-crisis-is-real/mental-health-statistics
- Words that work for opioid conversations. Short: https://canvas.instructure.com/courses/1155681/files/51714918/download?verifier=fOtYOZHZ7Brkb7r40CxYA10c4gRwGLZqSDpGeEcn&wrap=1 or Complete Script: https://canvas.instructure.com/courses/1155681/files/51714979/download?verifier=AJqzlaXoDzuKiYlkpPsZoRXLvV0q198Pp97bQzCl&wrap=1
- American Chronic Pain Association. A Car with Four Flat Tires. 2013. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RIii6OUK2A
- CAMH: Opioid Agonist therapy https://www.camh.ca/-/media/files/oat-info-for-clients.pdf
- University of Victoria: Patients Helping Patients Understand Opioid Substitution Treatment https://www.uvic.ca/research/centres/cisur/assets/docs/ost-patient.pdf
- Oregon Pain Guidance. Common Traps and Negotiation Strategies: https://professional.oregonpainguidance.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2016/12/Common-Traps-and-Negotiation-Strategies.pdf?x34704
- Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) - Australian Government Department of Health. Tips for talking about codeine: Guidance for pharmacists. 2017. Available from: https://www.tga.gov.au/sites/default/files/codeine-tips-pharmacists.pdf
- Crawley A, Murphy L, Regier L, McKee N. Tapering opioids using motivational interviewing. Canadian Family Physician. 2018. 65:584-7. http://www.cfp.ca/content/cfp/64/8/584.full.pdf
- Murphy L, Babaei-Rad R, Buna D, Isaac P, Murphy A, Ng K, Regier L, Steenhof N, Zhang M, Sproule B. Guidance on opioid tapering in the context of chronic pain: Evidence, practical advice and frequently asked questions. Canadian Pharmacists Journal/Revue des Pharmaciens du Canada. 2018 Mar;151(2):114-20.
- Kelley JM, Kraft-Todd G, Schapira L, Kossowsky J, Riess H. The influence of the patient-clinician relationship on healthcare outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. PloS one. 2014;9(4):e94207.
- Sherman, K.J., Walker, R.L., Saunders, K., Shortreed, S.M., Parchman, M., Hansen, R.N., Thakral, M., Ludman, E.J., Dublin, S. and Von Korff, M., 2018. Doctor-Patient Trust Among Chronic Pain Patients on Chronic Opioid Therapy after Opioid Risk Reduction Initiatives: A Survey. The Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine, 2018; 31(4): pp.578-87